The Directorate-General Fire Safety and Civil Protection is part of the Ministry of the Interior of Bulgaria (DGFSCP-MoI). The DGFSCP is structured into a central level administration and at regional level, there are 28 territorial structures established and functioning in each geographic region (district) of the country. The Directorate-General Fire Safety and Civil Protection is a national specialized structure responsible for fire safety, rescue and protection in case of disasters.
The main activities of the DG Fire Safety and Civil Protection are:
• Prevention and control; fire extinguishing and state fire control, rescue activities
• Emergency rescue and recovery activities, operational protection in case of floods and search and rescue operations
• CBRN protection in case of incidents and accidents with dangerous substances and materials and mitigation of ecological incidents
• Early warning and alert in case of disasters and aerial danger of the executive authorities and the population
• Civil protection in case of “wartime” or “emergency situation” in compliance with the Geneva Conventions
• Operational cooperation with the EU and NATO structures and other international organizations in the field of fire safety and civil protection, humanitarian aid and civil-military emergency planning